Travelling to Tampere
Typical ways to travel to Finland are by flying to Helsinki-Vantaa, Tampere-Pirkkala or Turku airport. Also the ferries of the Baltic Sea are an option. You can travel easily to Tampere by train from Helsinki or Turku.
- Some flights arrive straight at Tampere airport but most flights arrive at Helsinki-Vantaa airport
- From Tampere airport you can search for transportation by the Tampere public transport journey planner: https://www.nysse.fi/en/front-page.html
- From Helsinki-Vantaa airport to Tampere you’ll have to reserve travel time from 2 to 3 hours. There are busses travelling straight from the airport to Tampere and they can be found at: https://www.matkahuolto.fi/en. If you want to travel by train, you’ll have to take a P train to Tikkurila and switch to a long-distance train to Tampere. Some short-distance trains are also travelling to Tampere from Tikkurila. They are cheaper but do not depart so often. The train schedules and tickets can be purchased from https://www.vr.fi/en.
- Unfortunately, the transport services do not offer discounts for students not studying outside Finland
- Usually, the earlier you buy the tickets, the cheaper they are.
Local currency is euro. Finland operates on a 230V supply voltage, 50Hz frequency and C/F-type plugs. It is recommended all participants to travel with a health insurance and with a European card of medical assistance.
Getting around the city:
You can get around Tampere by using the brand-new tram system or busses. We will provide you with tickets. Information on the service can be found on their website: https://www.nysse.fi/en/front-page.html
The city also has electric scooters and bikes for rent (voi, Ryde, Lime, Tier, Alepa etc.).
Taxis are expensive in Finland, but also an option.
How does Tampere work?
The accommodation and some of our events are held in the city center which is situated between lakes. From there you can also find shopping, restaurant, sightseeing opportunities etc. Our university is divided into two parts, the technical campus is situated in Hervanta located south of the center. You can get to Hervanta with trams or busses (trams being the quickest option).
Tampere city and location of Hervanta
Some of the highlights of Tampere
Who to contact / Important phone numbers:
Emergency number (Police, Medical, Fire): 112
Accommodation – Omena Hotel
0600 555 222
Check-in is possible at 4 pm. The check-out will be at 11.45 o’clock.
Contact of AS Tampere
Contact info will be delivered separately. You can always contact Otto Harrikari, the President of Euroavia Tampere. His contact info can be found in the information emails. The WhatsApp group also provides answers.
What to wear?
Since the event is held in September the weather is already getting colder. The high temperature during the days is around 15°C and the lowest can be near 0°C. It is recommended that you take warm clothes since some of the activities will be outdoors. If you want to go to sauna and swim on Friday, bring a swimsuit.
The meals are included in the participation fee. Evening and breakfast snacks are provided in the hotel, also on the arrival and departure dates.
Schedule of the event:
On Thursday the participants will arrive in Tampere and be greeted by AS Tampere members. We have planned to meet in the city center near the accommodation, so you can drop your bags at the hotel and then get to know each other in a pub environment (Pub Ruby & Fellas, https://rubyandfellas.fi/en/).
On Friday we start our day with some company representations in the Tampere University’s Hervanta campus. You can take the tram to Hervanta from the city center. Our companies will be later confirmed. After the Finnish industry has provided us with an inside to their operation, we have an introduction of our beloved University. Lunch will be eaten at our campus restaurant.
After the participants are properly briefed on the business side of Finland, they get to know the cultural side. This will be accomplished by the cultural night to which we hope you bring your own culture as well (perhaps a bottle of your culture and a flag of your country)! The cultural night will be held at a near by lake and there is a possibility to go to Sauna and/or swim.
On Saturday we will have a competition that will require you to work in pairs. During this event you will learn more about the country and aviation in here. The day will be casual spending time together. We will make you food at campus.
On Sunday we will tour the city center of Tampere and visit some landmarks of the city. You will also learn a thing or two about the history of Finland. In the evening we will have the final dinner.
Our event is sponsored by: